Today students in the 120-Hour Overview had their chance to practice performing emergency evacuations at a nearby flight training simulator facility. The Travel Academy’s flight attendant school has been training people in this procedure for years now. Ms. Julie, one of the school’s instructors, is a former flight attendant. Today she is sharing with us some of her tips for a successful emergency evacuation.
- Assess outside conditions through the window
- Assess door condition with back of hand for heat
- Hold onto assist handle (and hold onto it!)
- Open door
- Check for fire, water, smoke, or debris
- Pull red handle to inflate the emergency slide
- Begin evacuating passengers when slide is fully inflated
To be sure, this is just a brief list. Students are given much more theoretical and hands-on practice in class and at the training facility. Stay tuned for more helpful tips to learn how to become a flight attendant!