The Travel Academy’s very own Placement Director, Miss TJ, was kind enough to share her top tips for getting hired as a flight attendant, cruise line professional, or travel agent. Enjoy, share, and USE them.
1. Appearance- Dress professionally!
- Conservative business dress
- Proper jewelry or lack there of
- Appropriate make up
- Clean shaven
- Hair up and back
2. Demeanor- Be approachable!
- Establish eye contact
- Acknowledge others
- Be attentive
Body language tips
- Sit/stand straight
- Arms at side/hands in lap
- Legs uncrossed
- Do not lean on desk or table in front of you
- DO NOT CHEW GUM. Period.
3. Speech- Use proper grammar and etiquette!
- Say “Sir” or “Ma’am”
- Say “Yes”- not “yeah”, “ya”, or “uh-huh”
- Use “Please” and “Thank you”
- “I have seen”- not “I seen”, “I sawed”, etc.
4. Preparation- Be prepared!
- Have everything you could imagine the interviewers could ask for
– 2 (or more) copies of résumés and/or cover letters
– 3 (or more) copies of all identification- plus originals
- Driver’s license
- Social security card
- Work visa/green card (if applicable)
- Research the company you are interviewing with
5. Punctuality- Be early!
- When you are on time, you are late!
- When you are early, you are on time!
6. Attitude- Check bad attitudes on a slow boat to nowhere!
- You are being watched from the minute you step foot on the premises.
- Be the professional you really are.